Day Job 📈 📊 🏆
After a few short years in sales George has been a career computer trainer for New Horizons Learning Solutions, the first and one of the largest New Horizons training franchises. As of June 2020, just shy of 27 years of employment, the training and operations portions of the company were spun off to Focal Point Learning.
George specializes in delivering training on two Microsoft products, SQL Server and Power BI (which, he finds, is so fun to work with). About 70-80% of the time George delivers training virtually, often across four or more time zones, from his home studio in mid-Michigan, and prior to the coronavirus pandemic era would travel near and far to customer locations for about 20-30% of the remaining work time. He likes both.
George is a long term Microsoft Certified Trainer (since 1997) and at last count, has had 101 exam seatings!
Feedback from my students
- “George is one, if not the BEST, instructor of IT content I’ve ever had – everything he provided was of the highest quality and craftsmanship – and his enthusiastic and supportive approach made my time in this course an A+ experience” – JL
- “…I’d love for others to hear about my fantastic experience with you on my education journey” – LB-W
- “You are so awesome! One of my co-workers also took a class with you and we both agree that you are the BEST that we have had…you are really good at what you do…” – CL
- “George is extremely patient, passionate about the subject and technology”
- “I thought you were amazing” – MC
- “George, you blew my expectations away” – AM
Feedback from my bosses
- “George is one of our top instructors and continuously ensures a positive experience for the students. He has an excellent class delivery and receives great comments and feedback.” – CK
- “George has communication skills and habits that I wish all of my instructor team had. George communicates well in both urgent situations and proactive situations.” – RF
- Bachelors of Science, Michigan State University, March 1985
George passed the Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI exam DA-100 (my 101st exam sitting) on Monday, October 5, 2020.
George passed the Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI exam 70-778 (my 100th exam sitting) on Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
Back in the fall of 2013 Rich Currey (colleague) and I went to a Microsoft studio in Redmond, Washington and presented twice for the Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA).
On the personal side…
During the long, cold, Michigan you may find him on the treadmill, watching a movie or reading. During the warmer months you’ll find him on his Cannondale Synapse road bicycle having a ball, and almost every season will ride over 1,000 miles.
George and his wife are long term members of Riverview Church and have volunteered in a number of capacities over the years.
Don’t be surprised if you hear George quoting movie lines but especially from Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure , any Star Wars movie, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy movies.
George speaks some German, but is not fluent. Eines Tages, vielleicht! He has a general fascination with language, geography and culture.
George plays acoustic guitar but not great, and played the alto sax as a kid and played in the marching band.
He’s the oldest of five kids who had five state-to-state moves before age twelve. His siblings are literally spread out coast-to-coast, from Seattle to New York City.
George’s Dad (also George) was a private pilot and George Jr. flew with his Dad since he was very young (check out his Aviation page) and has been fascinated with aircraft and all-things-aviation all of his life.
Personal email: gsquillacejr at wowway dot com